Images are an effective way of making your website attractive and distinctive; finding high quality, relevant images which you have the right to use can be a challenge. Here are some sources of images our users have found useful:
- Pexels [free] Pexels is a good source of rights-free images. The majority of the images for this site were obtained from Pexels.
- Wiki Commons [free] has a large collection of images on Creative Commons licences.
- Flickr creative commons [free]. Flickr helpfully allows users to search by licence type.
- Oxford university images [charged]. This exists primarily to sell Oxford images to the world at large: University members get a small discount.
- iStock photos [charged]. Although these aren’t free they have a large catalogue of images and are often quite reasonably priced.
There are many more sources of images on the web, some of which are listed in this Visual Learning Centre article.
Of course you also have the option of using your own photos.