Automatic page alias creation
URL aliases for pages are created automatically when the page is created. To automatically generate the page alias, the page's title is converted into an alias, e.g.:
- For a page entitled 'Contact us', an alias of 'contact-us' is created.
Note that the automatic alias generation replaces spaces between words in the page title with hyphens '-', and common words such as 'of' and 'the' are omitted, e.g.:
- For a page entitled 'About the Centre', an alias of 'about-centre' is created.
Create custom page aliases
You can add custom aliases to pages. To do this:
- Uncheck the 'Generate automatic URL alias' checkbox
- Overwrite the alias in the 'URL alias' input field with your new alias. Note: this will not remove the current alias(es) from the page
- Click 'Save'
When the page Settings screen reloads, the new alias will appear in a list of aliases on the URL path settings tab.
Check which alias is set as the primary one
To check which alias has been set as the primary alias:
- Re-enter edit mode, navigate back to the Settings tab > URL path settings
- There will be more than one alias, each with a radio button on the left. The radio button of the primary alias is blue.
- To select a different primary alias, click the appropriate radio button and click Save